Amazon Prime for later viewing
Davey
2016-04-19 14:39:17 UTC
I have joined Amazon Prime, to watch its programmes on my PC. I neither
have, nor want, a smartphone.
Amazon have available applications to allow downloading of programmes
for later viewing to smartphones, so they are not against the practice.
I want to download programmes to my PC in the same way. I use Ubuntu
14.04, on a 64-bit Samsung PC.

My browser is Firefox 43.0, but as soon as I connect to Amazon Prime and
try to just watch a programme, I am immediately told that Firefox is no
good, and Chrome is suggested.
I installed Chrome, and I can watch programmes on Amazon Prime. But how
to download them? I tried the Chrome version of Video Download Helper,
and although it offers several versions, all mp4, of varying sizes, of
programmes, whichever ones I download won't play, all I get is the
file's title, and then nothing.

The first question is: What is a working way of downloading a programme
from Amazon Prime Video to my PC?
The second question: If Video Download Helper is the way to do it, how
do I make it work?

Any help welcome. I can find no suggestions online other than to
re-install chrome, which I have done.

I tried to send the HDMI signal out to a recorder, but the PC overheats
and shuts down!
Davey.
Java Jive
2016-04-19 16:29:55 UTC
I can't comment on Amazon prime, but I've been able to download and
watch UK ITV programmes ...
http://www.itv.com/hub/shows
... using get-flash-videos:
https://github.com/monsieurvideo/get-flash-videos/wiki/Installation

I would add to the above linked instructions a correction for Windows.
You may get on better with Strawberry Perl rather than ActivePerl, and
even with the former you may have to use the -T switch to override
testing when using cpan to install some of the extra Perl modules
needed - IIRC the module Data::AMF is the one that fails testing on
Windows.

For Linux, you may find there's already an installation package for
it, but be aware this may be an older version of the script. Since
the so-called 'ITV Hub' was introduced comparatively recently, you
need the latest version of the script, so you may have to use git to
update it to get the most recent version.

As I suspect you already know, there's also get_iplayer for BBC
programmes ...
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer
... but again be aware that v2.94 linked above doesn't download the
latest radio 320 DASH streams, you need 2.95dev for that.

Whether either of these can be adapted to your needs I do not know,
but, as described above, they both work for me.
Davey
2016-04-19 18:09:03 UTC
On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 17:29:55 +0100
Post by Java Jive
I can't comment on Amazon prime, but I've been able to download and
watch UK ITV programmes ...
http://www.itv.com/hub/shows
https://github.com/monsieurvideo/get-flash-videos/wiki/Installation
That's a start, although I haven't tried to download anything from
there.
Post by Java Jive
I would add to the above linked instructions a correction for Windows.
You may get on better with Strawberry Perl rather than ActivePerl, and
even with the former you may have to use the -T switch to override
testing when using cpan to install some of the extra Perl modules
needed - IIRC the module Data::AMF is the one that fails testing on
Windows.
You have lost me, but don't worry!
Post by Java Jive
For Linux, you may find there's already an installation package for
it, but be aware this may be an older version of the script. Since
the so-called 'ITV Hub' was introduced comparatively recently, you
need the latest version of the script, so you may have to use git to
update it to get the most recent version.
As I suspect you already know, there's also get_iplayer for BBC
programmes ...
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer
... but again be aware that v2.94 linked above doesn't download the
latest radio 320 DASH streams, you need 2.95dev for that.
I already use get_iplayer (not from github.com) frequently, (I used it
last night, in fact) but I only need to download TV programmes, so
that limitation is ok.
Post by Davey
I have joined Amazon Prime, to watch its programmes on my PC.
And that is still the target, Amazon Prime. I wouldn't know how to go
about adapting an existing programme, if it wasn't already designed to
do what I want.
Davey.
Java Jive
2016-04-19 18:35:36 UTC
Post by Java Jive
I would add to the above linked instructions a correction for Windows.
You may get on better with Strawberry Perl rather than ActivePerl, and
even with the former you may have to use the -T switch to override
testing when using cpan to install some of the extra Perl modules
needed - IIRC the module Data::AMF is the one that fails testing on
Windows.
You have lost me, but don't worry!
In a Bash Shell/Terminal Window (Linux) or DOS Prompt (Windows) with
Perl on the path - type ...
perl --version
... to check whether Perl is on the path - give the following
command(s) (beware line-wrap with the first, you will have to
reconstruct the line by rejoining it:

cpan CPAN Authen::SASL Compress::Zlib Crypt::Rijndael LWP Module::Find
MP3::Info MP3::Tag Net::SMTP::SSL Net::SMTP::TLS
Net::SMTP::TLS::ButMaintained Term::ProgressBar WWW::Mechanize
XML::Simple Data::AMF

If, as is likely in Windows, the last installation above fails, then
give the following command as well:

cpan -T Data::AMF
Post by Davey
I already use get_iplayer (not from github.com) frequently
Then you already have Perl installed, and some of the modules in the
cpan installation command above will already be installed; no matter,
you will simply receive messages saying that those ones are already
up-to-date.

Once the above cpan command is completed, you need only install
get-flash-videos itself. Then the command to download an ITV
programme is (note the underscores, GFV is annoyingly inconsistent,
hyphens some places, underscores others) ...

<path>/get_flash_videos <url>

... for example (beware line wrap again) ...

get_flash_videos
http://www.itv.com/hub/best-walks-with-a-view-with-julia-bradbury/2a3365a0007
Post by Davey
And that is still the target, Amazon Prime. I wouldn't know how to go
about adapting an existing programme, if it wasn't already designed to
do what I want.
You could try just giving a command such as the above, with a suitable
Amazon Prime URL, to see if it works.
Davey
2016-04-20 10:04:31 UTC
Post by Davey
And that is still the target, Amazon Prime. I wouldn't know how to
go about adapting an existing programme, if it wasn't already
designed to do what I want.
You could try just giving a command such as the above, with a suitable
Amazon Prime URL, to see if it works.
--
All looks good and up-to-date.
So: Logged in to Amazon Prime, so have access to required programmes.

RV511:~$ get_flash_videos
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0130OI2MU/ref=dv_web_yvl_list_pr_0_ba
Using method 'amazon' for
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0130OI2MU/ref=dv_web_yvl_list_pr_0_ba
Downloading
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0130OI2MU/ref=dv_web_yvl_list_pr_0_ba
Error: Couldn't find video ID / media object ID in Amazon page
at /usr/share/perl5/FlashVideo/Site/Amazon.pm line 33.

Couldn't extract Flash movie URL. This site may need specific support
adding, or fixing.

Please confirm the site is using Flash video and if you have Flash
available check that the URL really works(!).

Check for updates by running: /usr/bin/get_flash_videos --update

If the latest version does not support this please open a bug (or
contribute a patch!) at
http://code.google.com/p/get-flasBeverelyh-videos/ make sure you
include the output with --debug enabled. Couldn't download any videos.

Oh well, maybe it's not using Flash.

Looking at other Replies, it looks as though I am kicking at a closed
door.
Davey.
Java Jive
2016-04-20 10:13:34 UTC
Post by Java Jive
You could try just giving a command such as the above, with a suitable
Amazon Prime URL, to see if it works.
All looks good and up-to-date.
So: Logged in to Amazon Prime, so have access to required programmes.
RV511:~$ get_flash_videos
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0130OI2MU/ref=dv_web_yvl_list_pr_0_ba
Using method 'amazon' for
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0130OI2MU/ref=dv_web_yvl_list_pr_0_ba
Downloading
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0130OI2MU/ref=dv_web_yvl_list_pr_0_ba
Error: Couldn't find video ID / media object ID in Amazon page
at /usr/share/perl5/FlashVideo/Site/Amazon.pm line 33.
Couldn't extract Flash movie URL. This site may need specific support
adding, or fixing.
Ah well, it was a long shot, but at least you should be able to
download ITV now!
Post by Davey
If the latest version does not support this please open a bug (or
contribute a patch!) at
http://code.google.com/p/get-flasBeverelyh-videos/ make sure you
include the output with --debug enabled. Couldn't download any videos.
That link gives a 404, but you could try to find a link from the
installation page that I linked up thread to report a problem.
Davey
2016-04-20 10:24:11 UTC
On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 11:13:34 +0100
Post by Java Jive
Post by Davey
Couldn't extract Flash movie URL. This site may need specific
support adding, or fixing.
Ah well, it was a long shot, but at least you should be able to
download ITV now!
True, not that I have after one attempt some time ago, and getting
annoyed at the ads. that wouldn't go away, and the refusal to even try
to stream with Adblock enabled.
Davey.
Java Jive
2016-04-20 10:35:46 UTC
Post by Java Jive
Ah well, it was a long shot, but at least you should be able to
download ITV now!
True, not that I have after one attempt some time ago, and getting
annoyed at the ads. that wouldn't go away, and the refusal to even try
to stream with Adblock enabled.
I don't see any ads using GFV?
Davey
2016-04-20 14:01:48 UTC
Post by Java Jive
Ah well, it was a long shot, but at least you should be able to
download ITV now!
True, not that I have after one attempt some time ago, and getting
annoyed at the ads. that wouldn't go away, and the refusal to even
try to stream with Adblock enabled.
I don't see any ads using GFV?
I haven't tried recently, so there may not be any using that method.
But as I said earlier, I have no requirement, at least for now, to
download ITV programmes.
Davey.
Java Jive
2016-04-20 10:40:22 UTC
Post by Java Jive
Post by Davey
If the latest version does not support this please open a bug (or
contribute a patch!) at
http://code.google.com/p/get-flasBeverelyh-videos/ make sure you
include the output with --debug enabled. Couldn't download any videos.
That link gives a 404
As, examining it more closely, it might be expected to do. Isn't the
link supposed to be?
http://code.google.com/p/get-flash-videos/

But that's the Google archive, so no help there either :-(
Nick Leverton
2016-04-27 19:07:11 UTC
Post by Java Jive
Post by Java Jive
Post by Davey
If the latest version does not support this please open a bug (or
contribute a patch!) at
http://code.google.com/p/get-flasBeverelyh-videos/ make sure you
include the output with --debug enabled. Couldn't download any videos.
That link gives a 404
As, examining it more closely, it might be expected to do. Isn't the
link supposed to be?
http://code.google.com/p/get-flash-videos/
But that's the Google archive, so no help there either :-(
The issue tracker seems to have decamped alongside the code to
https://github.com/monsieurvideo/get-flash-videos/issues

Nick
Chris
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Davey
I have joined Amazon Prime, to watch its programmes on my PC. I neither
have, nor want, a smartphone.
Amazon have available applications to allow downloading of programmes
for later viewing to smartphones, so they are not against the practice.
I want to download programmes to my PC in the same way.
Except they want to control how long you keep the downloads for.
They allow it, but only for a set period of time.

I doubt the DRM controls they need are available on Linux, which
is why the downloads fail. Getting hold of DRMd media had always
been a nightmare in Linux.

It may be possible, but be prepared for a long slog and things to
break regularly as Amazon update their end.
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Chris
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Davey
I have joined Amazon Prime, to watch its programmes on my PC. I neither
have, nor want, a smartphone.
Amazon have available applications to allow downloading of programmes
for later viewing to smartphones, so they are not against the practice.
I want to download programmes to my PC in the same way.
Addendum. It's notable that there's no Android app. So iOS is the
only smartphone supported which has always been drm friendly.
Linux of any sort seems to be off limits
--
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Richard Kettlewell
2016-04-20 08:13:51 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Davey
I have joined Amazon Prime, to watch its programmes on my PC. I neither
have, nor want, a smartphone.
Amazon have available applications to allow downloading of programmes
for later viewing to smartphones, so they are not against the practice.
I want to download programmes to my PC in the same way.
Addendum. It's notable that there's no Android app.
Assuming you mean an Android app for using Amazon’s online video
service, then yes there is...
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
chris
Where? I can't see one.
Brian Mc
2016-04-20 11:20:27 UTC
Davey <***@example.invalid> wrote:
: I have joined Amazon Prime, to watch its programmes on my PC. I neither
: have, nor want, a smartphone.
: Amazon have available applications to allow downloading of programmes
: for later viewing to smartphones, so they are not against the practice.

They are NOT totally allowing it either!!!! The Aamazon Prime instructions
say that you MAY be able to download SOME programnmes on the devices you
mention - depending on their agreements with rights holders.

As they won't be able to control this download ability with any certainty
on any PC they won't be providing what you hope for!
n***@moo.uklinux.net
2016-04-21 15:28:37 UTC
Post by Davey
I have joined Amazon Prime, to watch its programmes on my PC. I neither
have, nor want, a smartphone.
[...]
Post by Davey
My browser is Firefox 43.0, but as soon as I connect [...]
What happens if you use a firefox plugin that reports
itself as running on android? (eg User Agent Overrider
or similar).

#Paul
Davey
2016-04-22 11:26:22 UTC
Post by Davey
My browser is Firefox 43.0, but as soon as I connect [...]
What happens if you use a firefox plugin that reports
itself as running on android? (eg User Agent Overrider
or similar).
#Paul
I have no idea, I didn't know such things existed.
--
Davey.